Our kidney donor, Candy, called this afternoon while I was on the way home from school! She let me know that the nurse called her and said the Doctor reviewed her CT Scan and cleared her for surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You would think this is the last step.... but it's not... and like I said earlier, it's all tentative up until they're being wheeled into surgery! The next step is the Pre-Transplant Committee, made up of doctors and nurses, needs to review Neil & Candy's files to make a final decision about proceeding. We honestly do not see why they would say no at this point. The committee meets on Wednesdays to review all their pretransplant patients but ours won't come up for review until next week... so Merry Christmas to us, I guess!
The next step is to pray pray pray that Candy and Neil stay healthy through Christmas and up until it's time for surgery. There's always the chance that either one of them could be sick with a cold and we'd have to postpone the transplant. I was soooooo worried about Neil getting the flu and strep throat I had last week that I wore a surgical mask for 3 days and avoided him as much as possible!! When I talked to the nurse last week, she told me his Creatinine is near 9, which is 'usually' the magic number for dialysis... As long as we don't have any major setbacks, we should be okay for avoiding dialysis before the surgery. He actually has a regular checkup with his Nephrologist tomorrow so we'll see if it's gone up since it was checked in early November.
Thank you all so much for the feedback, love, support, prayers etc that have been offered. We really appreciate everything!!!! :)
I guess you could say it truly IS the gift that keeps on giving!!!!
5 hours ago